Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I can do ALL the things!

My friend Catherine wrote a beautiful post the other day. And it struck my heart, since I have similar desires to love and serve. I have been struggling with service lately, feeling that I need to do more to help those around me, not just my family. In the past I have reached WAY past my capacities by volunteering to do all sorts of things and providing myself, and as a result my family, with too much stress. Realizing that I can't do everything and that my family is most important, I pulled back from everyone else and focused on only them.  This was very good for us all. But I now feel like I've got my life a little bit more in order and have the time and energy to help out a few other people.

This always seemed daunting to me. I can't make dinner for other people every week. "Service" always seemed to mean the big things. I know it's not and thanks to this past weekend's general conference and especially to the message from our Prophet, Thomas Monson, I know that I can do it. I know that as I pray for opportunities to help the people around me, I will receive them. God knows I don't have it together enough to do those big servicey deeds.  He can direct me to those people who need a compliment, or some cookies, or a hug. I give really good hugs. I know that I can still help people by showing them love.

AND I know that I can do anything. If I'm meant to do it, Heavenly Father will give the the strength. I may not be able to do it all at the same time, but eventually, I will get it done.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I really loved President Monson's talk from this conference as well--it really validated some of the things I was feeling and made me want to continue to do more. Good luck in your ventures!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. And I disagree with you. You have always been a very service oriented person and, as far as I can tell, are always AMAZING at finding the little (and big!) things you can do to help others! Miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VoIP services (voice over Internet Protocol), is the technology that permits you to create voice calls by using a broadband Internet connection in place of a normal phone line.

    ReplyDelete